You can help your student make the most of this class. Involved parents make a difference in keeping motivation high and increasing retention.
1. Ask your child to teach you what they learned in class.
2. Have them teach you the vocabulary of the day.
3. Help with homework when assigned.
4. Get language audiotapes and books at the library.
5. Practice simple vocabulary.
6. During dinner, review one new word.
7. Get a Picture Dictionary and focus on one subject at a time.
8. Music is a great way to learn; practice songs, buy music CDs, etc.
9. Keep your eyes open for cultural or news information involving the language.
10. Put up a map and mark the country or countries where the language is spoken.
11. Have your child choose a country where the language is spoken and learn all about it.